Fighting free Radicals with the right Antioxidants
What are Antioxidants?
Spending a long day at the beach or walking around a new city all day are fun ways to spend your free time, as long as you remember to take care of your skin. Did you know that environmental factors (e.g., sun, pollution, radiation, smoke, other toxins) can be harmful to your skin and lead to the formation of free radicals? These free radicals can cause harm to your body by trying to snatch an extra electron from the atoms in your skin cells, which damages your skin’s DNA and can speed up skin aging.
Don’t worry, we can fight these free radicals!
This is where antioxidants come into play. Antioxidants are molecules in our cells that fight free radicals by giving up their electron (instead of your skin cells giving up theirs). In this way, your skin stays young because antioxidants help your skin fight damage and help you recover from the oxidative stress that is caused by free radicals.
The main benefits of antioxidants for your skin:
- Skin hydration and brightening
- Antioxidants can help prevent abnormal skin pigmentations caused by sunspots, blackheads or breakouts
- Reduce skin inflammation
- They allow the skin to repair itself and correct visible damage
- Help prevent alterations responsible for skin aging
- Antioxidants can stimulate collagen production, which is vital for youthful skin